Who doesn't love Mac and cheese?? But when you're dieting or trying to eat healthy, Mac and Cheese doesn't exactly fit into the equation. Until now! This recipe is not carb free or gluten free but simply a healthy alternative to a delicious dish. However, you can substitute the pasta here for any veggie noodle for a low carb option.
- 2 cups dry Barilla protein plus pasta
- 2 cups fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 unsweetened almond milk (or non-fat milk)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and black pepper to taste (about 1/4 tsp.)
1) Cook pasta according to package directions (be careful not to overcook) and drain.
2) In a saucepan over Med heat melt together: butter, 1 1/2 cup cheese, almond milk, salt and pepper. Whisk together until smooth.Do not boil.
3) Add pasta into cheese sauce and mix together.
4) Add mixture to non-stick 9x13 pan, top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and panko bread crumbs.
5) Bake at 400 degrees until bread crumbs brown on top and ENJOY.